My family and I recently received a complimentary copy of Math Mammoth Grade 5-B Worksheets Collection for the purpose of a review for the TOS Homeschool Crew.
We find that our present math curriculum suits our needs and learning styles, but I do search for additional practice opportunities of the concepts that are covered in this curriculum. I don’t want to purchase a bunch of workbooks, each focusing on just one skill, or another entire curriculum. So, I found Math Mammoth to be a good fit for us when we want a chance for extra review and practice in newly learned skills.
There are a number of different versions available with corresponding answer keys from which to choose to meet your homeschooling needs:
- Worktexts by Topics – a worktext with both explanations and problems on a particular topic such as addition and subtraction (available in grades 1-5)
- Full Curriculum – a self-explanatory worktext with instruction using conceptual development in a logical sequence and exercises covering all topics for a given grade level, available in grades 1-5
- Worksheets by Grade – (this is the one we used) Contains problems only covering topics for a given grade level, available in grades 3-8, one topic per worksheet
- Worksheets by Topic – Contains problems covering only one topic for a given grade level with variable problems of a specific area of the topic per worksheet, available in grades 3-7
To view samples of available complete curriculum, visit Math Mammoth here. To view samples of available worksheet collections, visit here. To receive 280 downloadable free samples, visit Math Mammoth here.
We used Worksheets by Grade for Grade 5-B. There is no instruction on these worksheets as they are meant to only be a review or opportunity for remediation and practice. My son is a learner that likes straightforward worksheets for math with no distractions, so these worksheets fit the bill for him. No unnecessary graphics to distract from the actual problems and not too many to overwhelm him.
The problems consist of a good variety covering a skill from different perspectives using progressively more challenging thinking skills depending on the skill being practiced.
This particular worktext includes the following topics:
- Probability and Statistics
I like our introduction to Math Mammoth because it has options to allow you to purchase what you want to suit your needs whether you need a full curriculum or materials to supplement your current math program at very affordable prices. They are also fully reproducible so you can use them for all the members of your family. Placement tests are also available to assist you in determining the appropriate level in which your child should begin.
These materials are available as downloadable files or CD’s. This particular volume is available for $6.50 for the Worktext and $2.00 for the Answer Key.
To read other reviews of Math Mammoth materials, visit the TOS Homeschool Crew.
Filed under: TOS Crew Reviews