Welcome to our Charlotte Mason Cottage Store! We are busy working at developing new ebooks for you filled with fun lesson plans and ideas to assist you in your homeschool in using Charlotte Mason methods and Unit Studies with your family.
Scroll down the page to see what we offer to assist you in getting started quickly and easily using fun and effective methods for your homeschooling learning!
Nature Study and More ebooks by Season
Spring Nature Study and More
Well, some of you asked for smaller units for nature studies and we did it! This is not just a nature study though. Just like our Nature Study, Nature Journals, and Poetry Through the Year book, this nature study uses nature to introduce more formal scientific study topics and areas. So to use an old saying, “You can have your cake (Charlotte Mason style nature study) and eat it too (study more traditional science topics).
If you’re like me, you like the idea of bringing your kids out into nature, enjoying the current season and appreciating the little things in your surroundings. However, you might be concerned about covering science as an academic subject.
The Spring Nature Study and More has been taken out of our year long study and made into its own ebook for those of you who want to pick and choose which season you want to study at a time and wish to purchase something at a lower cost to you than our Nature Study, Nature Journals, and Poetry Through the Year ebook.
This nature study has you observing the spring season during the months of March, April, and May. (Each season has the 3 months listed that they cover and all have the same features listed below.) There are several suggested topics to observe each month. Just like our larger ebook, this ebook includes:
- suggested nature study books to use alongside our practical nature study suggestions
- poetry about the topics of nature study
- living book lists for each topic for each month
- suggested activities to do during your nature walk or after the walk
- questions to ask during the walk to help your child focus or discuss their observations about a topic you want to study on your walk
- scientific connections: topics of formal science subject areas – includes living book lists and activity or experiment ideas to extend your scientific study
- nature journal pages to print and use to keep a nature journal
- suggested book list for keeping nature journals and drawing from nature
For example, this nature study will ask you to observe, read about, discuss, and explore migration habits of birds and animals. That is your nature study topic for one month. (There are others to choose from as well, if you wish to do something different or do more than one topic for each month.) From the idea of migrating birds and animals, you extend your nature study into a formal scientific study into physical science with a study of the earth’s magnetic fields, then magnets and magnetism.
This nature study supplies you with what you need if you want to use the poetry for copywork (you can use the included nature journal pages and include the copywork in your nature journal), read about topics in nature, bunny trail ideas into formal scientific study, and links and suggestions for more research, activities, and experiments into topics in the fields of biology, physical science, and chemistry.
Spring Nature Study and More e-book
(Includes March, April, May)
6.50, now $3.25
Summer Nature Study and More e-book
(Includes June, July, August)
Autumn Nature Study and More e-book
(Includes September, October, November)
Purchase now for $6.50
Winter Nature Study and More e-book
(Includes December, January, February)
$6.50, Now only $3.25
If you would like to have a nature study for all the seasons at your fingertips and save money, purchase the Nature Study, Nature Journals, and Poetry Through the Year ebook:
This ebook is a year long study of nature divided into seasons and months and the natural events that occur during those seasons. Through a natural introduction into science through nature, this study introduces children into different areas of biology, physics, and chemistry.
For an overview of what you will find in Using Nature Study, Nature Journals, and Poetry Through the Year, I invite you to view a slideshow I created to help explain my ebook:
Would you like to give nature study a try but don’t know how you will find the time or fit it into your schedule and still feel like you are covering everything you really feel the need to cover for science?
I’ve been there. That is why I have written a book that takes the time for nature study but still covers different areas of biology, chemistry, and physics as an extended study of what you observe in nature. These topics can be covered generally or more in depth. It all depends on you, your child, and the time and interest you have for each topic.
This 215 page study includes the following sections that you can print off a few at a time depending on the topic of your study and the time of year:
Each Season has 3 months
Each Month has poetry and quotes that have to do with that month or topics within that month
There are different topics and a different number of topics depending on the natural events during that season or month.
For example, under Winter, you will find December, January, and February. Within January, you will find the topics of Trees in Winter, Astronomy, Owls,and Nocturnal Animals.
Within each topic you will find:
Pertinent poetry and quotes
Suggested Living Book list
- Nature Walk and Post-walk Activities
Questions with which to engage your children in conversation about the topic of study during the walk
Scientific Connections that naturally draw your child into an extended study of biology, physics, or chemistry that is connected to your nature study topic
For example, a topic study in July is Weather – Thunder, Lightning, Rain, and Rainbows. After observing this in nature and studying it, a Scientific Connection offers suggestions in which to extend that study into a study of Electricity, Sound Waves and Vibrations, Color, Light, or Acid Rain.
Each Scientific Connection has
Suggested Living Books list (if books are available on the topic)
Suggested Activities and Experiments
Some of these are described in the book, others are websites or books of experiments.
The Next Major Section of the book is Nature Journaling
Here you will find Recommended Nature Journal and Drawing book suggestions and websites. You will also find Suggested Sources for Nature Journaling pages and Sample Nature Journal pages within this book to get you started right away.
The Last Section is the Poetry section.
Here you will find Suggestions in which to integrate Poetry into your nature study through Writing and Studying Literary Devices commonly found in Poetry.
So, you can see that you CAN do a weekly nature study and still tie it into a more formal study of the traditional scientific areas and have the best of both worlds.
14.95, now $7.50
Read Reviews of this book here:
Our Nature Study, Nature Journals, and Poetry Through the Year book is now available in ebook form and in a printed edition. It has been receiving resounding positive reviews. Please click on the links below to read what other homeschool users have to say.
Here is what one homeschool mom from Australia who blogs on her “Aussie Pumpkin Patch” has to say:
“The book is awesome!…The book not only has fantastic ideas for nature walks and study but also ideas on questions you could ask before, during, or after the walks. … I really can’t wait to take some of these ideas out and use them with the kids.”
Here is another review from a reviewer for Currclick.com. Scroll down the page after the description of our book and you will find a written review from a member of the Heart of the Matter Team. Here’s a little of what she had to say:
“WOW! That was my first impression! For $14.95, “Using Nature Study, Nature Journal and Nature Through the Year” is a great purchase. It is massive in size (over 200 pages) and deep in scope.”
Christen commented on this blog:
A fellow homeschooler recommended your 2012 Election notebook and I was absolutely thrilled to find these unit studies that you’ve written as well.
They are RIGHT on the nose, exactly what I’ve been looking for, for almost a year! I teach in our homeschool coop and although my children are 4 and 2 I love that I can use these even now with them and not just in the coop! A lot of the questions while on a nature walk are the same as what I do naturally. I am looking forward to getting more in depth and embracing both of my children’s curiosity and having the perfect tool to help me stay focused and organized in my teaching about the seasons.
Thank you also for making them so affordable! We don’t have a lot of wiggle room at all so it’s nice to have the option of purchasing individual seasons, but it’s SO cost effective to get it all at once and I was shocked at how affordable it was. Thank you so much!
We’re excited homeschoolers have found our book so enjoyable and useful in your science and nature study! Now is the time to get outside and bring your learning back to nature!
14.95, now $7.50
Please let us know how you like the ebook after your purchase. We are eager to hear your thoughts! If you know anyone else that may be interested please share our post. Thanks!
We’ve just completed a full audio workshop with detailed steps in making your own unit study using Charlotte Mason methods! It’s like having 3 workshops in 1!
Have you ever wanted to learn more about Charlotte Mason methods and how to use them in a practical manner in your homeschool? Have you been attracted to the idea of unit studies, but don’t know how to get started planning your own unit study around a topic of your choosing? Do you like the idea of following a unit study, but wish to combine Charlotte Mason methods like using “living books”, “narration”, “dictation”, and “copywork”? This training will help you accomplish all of this!
Here’s what you get in the Audio Seminar Set!
- 10 MP3 Audio files (approximately 30 minutes each)
- Handouts and Notes to accompany each workshop session
- Sample and Blank Unit Study Brainstorming sheets, Subject Area and Goal Planning sheets, and Lesson Planning forms
- Powerpoint slide shows to accompany workshop sessions to highlight the main points discussed in each session.
Here is what you will be learning and doing during this comprehensive seminar –
I. Introduction to Your Course – You Can Make Your Own Unit Study Using Charlotte Mason Methods – Session 1
II. What is the Charlotte Mason Method Part 1 – Session 2
An overview of Charlotte Mason and her philosophy and methods inluding using “living books”.
III. What is the Charlotte Mason Method Part 2 – Session 3
Using narration, copywork, and dictation.
IV. What is the Charlotte Mason Method Part 3 – Session 4
Handwriting, grammar study, lessons and habit training, history, and nature studies.
V. What is the Charlotte Mason Method Part 4 – Session 5
Poetry, Bible, Shakespeare and Plutarch, foreign Language, mathematics, music, art, and handicrafts.
VI.What is a Unit Study – Session 6
Overview of what constitutes a unit study, benefits of a unit study, different foundations for a unit study on which to build.
VII.Brainstorming a Unit Study Using Charlotte Mason Methods Part 1 – Session 7
Beginning the process of unit study planning and brainstorming.
VIII.Brainstorming A Unit Study Using Charlotte Mason Methods Part 2 – Session 8
Brainstorming Sheet and Subject Area Planning Sheets for a sample step by step unit study.
IX.Brainstorming A Unit Study Using Charlotte Mason Methods Part 3 – Session 9
Brainstorming Sheet and Subject Area Planning Sheets for sample unit study continued.
X. Lesson Planning and Unit Study Culmination Activity Ideas – Session 10
Taking the goal planning sheets and filling out a lesson planning sheet to develop loose lesson plans to follow. Unit Study Culmination Ideas – Fun ideas to tie
all of your information learned and projects from the unit study together and ways to share this with others.
All of these sessions include discussion of resources for more information and helpful ideas, and practical ideas to use in your own homeschool for an effective education and fun for everyone!
Purchase your set now at Currclick for $29.95! You won’t find this much information and helpful guidance and forms for this price anywhere!
Insect Unit Study
These lesson plans use Charlotte Mason’s methods of using living books, oral and written narration, copywork, and dictation. We have chosen a topic to study and developed lesson plans with quality living books (alot of them found free online) centered around the topic. Daily lessons have children doing narration and copywork with dictation at the end of the week using the given piece of copywork. We have added lots and lots of fun hands-on activities to do outside, inside, and on the computer. There are even suggested ways to include nature study and journaling into your study. There is so much in these units, you will be able to use these lesson plans for years.
These units can be followed exactly as written or customized by replacing portions of the day’s lessons with lists of options to choose from. Everything you need to follow Charlotte Mason’s methods are included in these units. It’s all there, ready for you to pick up and use. No more searching and gathering ideas, resources, and materials to plan your studies. All you have to do is locate the reading material we have recommended (alot of the time the reading material is a free online book written in Charlotte Mason living book style) or choose one you wish to use, and you are all ready to go.
Here is what you get in this 82 page unit with suggestions for preschool through high school:
- Lists of Living Book suggestions that can be found free online,(these are the ones I have used in my lesson plans I have done for you), the library, or purchased through an online store like Amazon. In these economically challenging times, I have tried to make this a complete unit study where you do not have to purchase anything else unless you want to – all of the materials can be found for free.
- These Living Book titles include Charlotte Mason style literature, quality non-fiction resources, poetry selections and anthologies, and activity books. A brief description is also included for each title with a suggested age range.
- 4 Weeks of daily lesson plans for you to follow (does not include math and history and is not a complete English course)
- Each day contains A Reading Selection from Charlotte Mason style literature from which your child can orally narrate and write down on the provided notebooking pages. There are even sections in the unit that give you direction and suggestions on how to use Ms. Mason’s methods with the lesson plan for your younger, middle, and upper children.
- Each daily lesson plan is divided into two separate plans, one for elementary and one for middle and high school that overlap in places for group activities. You can pick and choose what you want each of your children to do individually or as a whole family. I have just given you options to choose from to allow older children to explore and learn independently at times when it is most suitable. This gives you the time to sit and read with the younger children, while the older children are going into the subject matter in a greater depth, but still allowing everyone to work and learn together at times.
- 22 Copywork selections are provided, consisting of more simple ones for the younger children and longer and more complex ones for the older children – paragraphs from suggested living book titles and poetry.
- 16 different notebooking pages – all different, some labeled and decorated, some unlabeled, some specifically for taking on a nature walk to document your day.
- Lists of online resources and links to online activities, movie clips, activity ideas, manipulatives, insect flash cards from simple to entomological classification, cute preschool crafts and more hands-on crafts for the older children, quality on-line resource information in a fun format and also technical information for the older children including how insects affect their daily lives and our agriculture, science, and medicine.
- Lists of Hands-on activity suggestions for you to do with simple materials with your children in a science experiment format, just have fun applying what we know format, full lapbooks, or get outdoors and explore. You’ll be amazed at what you can find yourself doing and enjoying bugs!
- Each piece of copywork for that week’s lesson comes with a daily focus skill on either a grammar application for them to take notice while doing their copywork, vocabulary or spelling word review, or a literary element discussion, or a combination of these. You will be so happy to see your child recognizing these skills in good writing as they copy these pieces everyday in preparation for dictation at the end of the week.
- There is a suggested activity to do after the reading, narrating, and copywork is completed. You can choose to do the activity or skip it if you don’t have time, save it for another day for another activity you wish to skip, or replace it with a whole new one from our Activity Suggestions list.
- At the end of the week there is a nature study type activity, most outside, some inside in case the weather does not want to cooperate. You’ll find yourself virtually dissecting an insect or skimming a pond and examining insects before they morph into something that looks like a totally different bug. Nature Journal pages are provided to take with you on some of your outings for a more relaxed and exploratory experience.
- We have provided the opportunity to include a short poetry study in this unit. From reading some aloud or examining some literary elements in poetry to learning how to write a specific form of poetry and combining it with an art project.
- There are a few writing suggestions included in the lesson plans to practice writing a fable based on the insect theme, and modeling and writing a personal narrative.
This unit study is designed to allow you to use the daily lesson plans as they are, use some parts and not others, move parts around if you want, or exchange pieces that are in the plan with other ideas you like from the lists provided for you. It’s that EASY. You get to customize your plans to fit your child’s needs.
Click on the Add to Cart link below the ebook picture and you will be taken to paypal to complete your purchase. Then you will have directions to automatically download your item.